31 Jan 2014

High Price-Rice Commotion

One afternoon on July 11, 2013 at around 7:00 p.m., I arrived home. Feeling tired and awful, I decided to sit on one of our chair furniture in front of the television screen. I turned on the TV and leaned my back to relax.

            “…This sector grew 3.3 percent in the first three months of 2013. This is triple the 1.1 percent growth it recorded in the same time period in 2012. That is why we continue to sow initiatives that will certainly bear the fruits of even greater progress for our farmers…” a familiar voice caught my attention when I approached the TV screen. “Oh! Today is his SONA”, I exclaimed. I seriously listened to the replay of Aquino’s 3rd State of the Nation Address. I felt really like an innocent child on what he said about the improvement of the country maybe because I only heard or watched over the news- about the economic development- yet haven’t experienced it.

            As a student, I’m aware on the burden of our country because I’ve been into it, but such appraisal on his SONA was unexpected. I continuously listened and he continued talking about his ways to decrease problems on poverty and crimes as well as the progress of living under his administration. Korina Sanchez and Ted Failon reported the situation outside the MalacaƱang. Such a historical SONA in our country makes many people wait for another hopeful statement from the considered most trustworthy President in the Philippines. People were interviewed and many still admired Pnoy in despite of some issues regarding his leadership.

            “Such a funny thing that happened in the market”, my mother told me from behind. “What?” I asked. “I’ve been in the market to buy five kilos of rice. I was shocked with its price- now from the normal range of Php. 30.00 - Php. 35.00 to Php. 38.00 – Php. 50.00. The usual household ingredients like cooking oil, spices, jams, milk, and utensils or materials used at home also have uncontrollable high prices.” she said as she put the groceries on the table. “…the vendor bragged and said, ‘high price commodities are due to oil price hike…’ when I’ve asked him, why?” she added.

            My mother was amused and told the vendor sarcastically, “Did you add gasoline in your rice?!” We both laughed as my mother stand and went straight to the kitchen.

            I’ve been thinking that my mother was joking, but she showed the reality behind Pnoy’s positive declaration of economic growth. Despite the perception that Pnoy took a “tuwid na daan” towards life betterment, many people haven’t seen it or even felt a bit of it yet because though he took the straight path, other officials procured the opposite one. That is why the latest high price commotion bothers many Filipinos; some says there is a rice shortage, others proclaim that it’s a hoarding agenda. Whatever the reason, Filipinos are the most affected with this issue. We cannot escape from poverty if diverged personal interests arouse from the individuals in the government. If government continues to take advantage over the whims of its countrymen, surely we will remain a poor country; hard works and labor of the Filipinos will remain useless. The issue on Janette Napoles and three senators proved the greediness and selfishness of some people to power without even thinking about the possible negative effects to their nation.

            But though this is the reality today, one thing the Filipinos should remember is to keep the fire burning for hope that there will still be change in the future. They should never stop smiling and working hard to live no matter what the price is or what the cost will be.
                                                          
                                Jonnafe Mae A. Prongco

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find us on Google+